6-29-22 - Wednesday morning. On the Guilford Green. We found a nice shady spot. Very buggy- good thing I had bug spray in the car.
Steve chose a pathway with a park bench and street lamps to feature. I selected these three buildings on Whitfield Street. The red building was once the Greene Art Gallery and is now a Real Estate office, the small middle building is a cute little gift shop called Rock Paper Sista's and the third is a residential home. The red building adds a fun pop of color to a predominantly green landscape painting.
- canvas size: 12 x 16 panel
- mixed a yellow ochre and alizarin crimson tone to cover canvas.
- sketched in the main shapes with burnt umber and small round brush - long handle in order measure distances and angles
Largest shapes first - blue sky, green background foliage, green shadow in foreground and green sun-lit grass.
-next tree trunks, buildings, cars
-last - tree foliage that overlaps buildings
- Overlapping elements: the center tree overlaps the little yellow building.
- Contrasting values: the strong dark trunk of the tree is right next to the bright sun-light yellow building bringing your attention to this adorable structure.
- Simplify subject and enhancement: There were many more cars in front but I selected the ones I wanted to paint in and I added the Kayak on the roof of the middle vehicle to add a playful summer feel to this piece.
-Complementary colors: Colors directly across from each other on the color wheel are complementary colors: Red - to Green - Blue to Orange - Violet/Purple to Yellow.
I try to add a pop of red into a mostly dominate green landscape. Red is the complement of green on the color wheel. In this case the red of the building was highly saturated or intensity - other times the red can be a dull brownish red/orange
Keep Painting - Keep Creating - Don't give up!
Linda S. Marino Art
Branford, CT 06405
Linda Marino Live Wedding Painter and Event Painter from Branford, CT serving the New England, New York and New Jersey area.
Keep in Touch -
Be the first to hear about upcoming workshops, classes, events, and latest artwork.